OUTLINE OF THE FELLOWSHIP
The JSPS Invitation Fellowship for Research in Japan (Short Term) is offered to promote international scientific cooperation and exchange. It allows researchers employed at designated Japanese research institutions and laboratories to invite fellow researchers from other countries to Japan for short periods of time to participate in discussions, attend seminars, give lectures, or perform similar duties at their institutions.
Applications for this program must be submitted to JSPS by a host researcher in Japan through the head of his/her university or institution.
FIELDS OF RESEARCH
All fields of the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are included under this program.
HOST RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS
The applicant (host researcher) must be a researcher who is employed full-time or classified as being employed full-time at a university or research institution of the types listed in Table I. Fellows must conduct their research at the host’s affiliated institution.
* Full-time employment classification is determined by the regulations of the host institution.
The candidate must be a researcher with an excellent record of research achievements who, in principle, is employed full-time at an overseas research institution, and meets the following requirements:
1) Senior scientists, university professors, and other persons with substantial professional experience
2) Citizen of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan (JSPS treats Taiwanese and Palestinian researchers in this manner.)
3) To be eligible, researchers of Japanese nationality must have lived abroad and been activity engaged in research for over 10 years.
NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIPS AWARDED
For the 1st Recruitment: Approximately 120 Fellowships will be granted.
For the 2nd Recruitment: Approximately 100 Fellowships will be granted.
DURATION AND COMMENCEMENT OF FELLOWSHIPS
1) Fellowships are awarded for a period of 14 to 60 days.
2) Successful candidates must start the Fellowship in Japan during the following periods:
For the 1st Recruitment: April 1, 2011 – March 31, 2012
For the 2nd Recruitment: October 1, 2011 – March 31, 2012
TERMS OF AWARD
The terms of the Awards indicated below are subject to change.
1) A round-trip air ticket
2) A daily maintenance allowance of ¥18,000
3) Domestic research travel allowance of ¥150,000
4) Overseas travel accident and sickness insurance coverage
Host’s cooperation allowance of ¥50,000